Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Purpose Of Abiding In Christ

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."   Abiding in the vine of Christ has a purpose.  1) Reproductive. The only way that someone can lead a soul to the Lord or acquire the godly character of Jesus is to abide with Jesus in a personal relationship. God desires to use us to bring forth the fruit of Christ into the world. We do so as we draw from the vine of Christ and his word. 2. Reconstructive. The Father is one that prunes our lives to remove the bad and unprofitable things that cause us not to bear more fruit. Daily, our God is at work perfecting us and instructing us as to the way of the Lord more perfectly. 3) Rewarding. Everyday God promises those that abide in him, spiritual fruit, souls, answered prayer, joy, love, peace, and a friendship that no man can  ever take away.