Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Flesh, Friend or Foe

(Rom. 7:18) "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not." Many times when I talk to people about their problems they will blame the devil or someone else for their situation, when in reality the real cause is their own flesh. When the Bible speaks of the flesh, it speaks of the earthly body that houses our spirit and soul. It cannot be saved, nor inherit eternal life, but God does promise to resurrect it and change it later. You see, in order for us to understand this great truth we need to separate our soul and spirit from our bodies. Our soul and spirit is eternal, but our flesh will die, for it is sinful and given over to sinful desires. Adam's sin caused the body's curse, and yet God still chose to use it for His Glory. In the above verse the Apostle Paul wanted us to see that if we are going to be used of God and have victory over sin, we are going to have to first realize that our flesh is our biggest enemy. It needs to be controlled by our spirit, and then surrendered to God's Spirit. (Gal. 5:16) This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Do you want victory?  Then dethrone your sinful flesh!